Attention First

February 1st, 2023

Our first task to launch this year’s work is to review our human operating system.  When exposed to a new range or any type of diversity in thinking it is wise to recall that by design, we have what psychologists’ term “loss aversion” or “risk aversion.”  Any feeling of threat or loss outweighs any potential gain.  We humans are very prone to panic that leads to polarization.  Silly!  Research reveals that our senses report to our brain data about our environment presents only 20% of the information from external contacts.  The other 80% is from a stored database or fabricated.  And this activates faster than our ability to form a single thought so commit now to the concept of doing research to develop better questions about potential for you in our changing times.

Over the years I have done numerous blogs and workshops on both “attention” and “questions.”  I think this is the first time I have married the two elements together and this should be a fun quest.  As an example, imagine you have a problem in life.  For most the question that comes to mind is “how do I solve this problem?”  As noted above, your automatic system will offer the best possible solution long before any type of analysis is elicited.  It will back this offer with several less likely to succeed strategies.  All of this with confidence because it worked once before; before the present changes yet not integrated into the database.  We have similar problems showing up today with algorithms.  It seems that a very large database can offset new updates that may be essential to modernize and link to new thinking and developed skills.

The average human span of attention is less than one and a half minutes.  We need to attend to any issue for a longer duration to override the subconscious offerings and focus for potential (usually processed internal) and for utility (usually processed external).  Yes, we operate from several approaches that may or may not coincide.  For example, you feel that your body needs some exercise because you have been sitting around in the house all day.  Non movement negates potential; doing nothing.  You head for the door only to discover that it is now raining outside.  You may need to move but little value in getting drenched and perhaps ill.  Get it?

I will offer techniques, stories and updated information as we explore paths to obtain balance in our changing world each month.  This month I request you play with “adding attention” to every aware thought.  I’m not talking about decision making; only attending longer to move those traditional poles or edges that you have secured over the years to reveal some of that new range you increased last year.  Another example, when I sit down to dinner, I look at the ingredients and try to imagine another way to prepare another dish with the same components, especially when I prepared the dish.  Not to find fault with what is presented but to associate other ideas for a wider database.  Huge increase in culinary range potential applying a little creative thinking with every meal.


Below is the link to Dr. Lemmon’s talk for February. This talk is a continuation about the reactions from students from learning something or some idea different than what they believed to be a “truth.” First step to learning is to come from a place of not knowing. You can not learn defending your view but you can debate your point and expand range (of thinking) to adjust, change or secure your point. All have value in our external work (this is what I know to do) and some may inspire potential in your internal world (I feel I have potential).

Comments are closed.